Anyone have the monarch bladder sling?

jsamaechi
jsamaechi
Mar 1, 2007 04:47 AM
I just had surgery two weeks ago... a vaginal hysterectomy, fixed two umbilical hernias and put in a monarch bladder sling for stress incontinence. Prior to surgery I would leak everytime I coughed or sneezed unless I would cross my legs or something. Now after the surgery I no longer do that.... instead I leak continuously now. Unlike when I would leak because of stress, I can't feel the leak. I feel normal (except for the pain and soreness from the surgery which is still intense), but I can't go for 30 minutes without damp underwear so it appears it is a very very small but steady leak. Anyone have this experience? Am I just still healing and expecting to much to soon?? Thanks 4 any input!

(93 Replies )
Last Post
by gramie
gramie
gramie
Re: Anyone have the monarch bladder sling?
Jun 26, 2012 03:45 PM
Not sure of the brand...bladder sling. Never had surgery before..56. Had surgery last aug 2011. Had hyterectomy 1st..then bladder susp...thinking it was a mistake. Should have had the hysterect & waited before the susp/sling. I did not have any leakage prior & was just having prolapse frm 2 births30 yrs ago...the surgery/ recovery went well...by 6 months things went downhill..drainage;bleeding; & after dr visit with ob/gyn, on antibiotic& prrocedure to burn crystals frm mesh...will go bk in a wk& if not better back to urologist that did the surgery. I wish i would hve got more info on possible complications frm mesh...see where there are FDA questions concerning similar complications....really worried after seeing some of these findings...any info is welcomed!
monicajane
monicajane
Jun 11, 2012 03:16 PM
I was seriously considering getting this done. I was weary about it when I started seeing the advertisements about the lawsuits being started because of the injuries and complications as a result of the surgery and of the sling itself. My urologist and I are discussing alternate solutions like homeopathic healing.

I am glad that the sling seem to be working out for you both.. I wish you luck in your recovery.
edith p
edith p
Jun 5, 2012 07:02 PM
Hi had the sling done last week (MAY 30th) a great Dr. and so far things are good . I really think the whole thing is very simple and recovery has been awesome. I just have a question for anyone, is it normal to kinda feel like something is protruding out a biut? Not completely out of the vagina but just kinda swollen or something. I know its been only a week, but I am curious. I dont see my dr for a long time, because , I am gone and then he is. Any comments would be great. Thank you
lynn2010
lynn2010
May 1, 2012 09:16 AM
I had the Monarc sling April 18, 2012 along with a LEEP procedure. The day I came home after the procedure I could tell it was working immediately. I had control of my urine stream and did not seem to have the urgency either. I had much swelling, inner thigh soreness, soreness to sit and do much of anything. I had a lot of blood at first that turned into a foul smelling discharge that seemed to vary depending on how active I was. I had more pain with my left side than with my right. I am 13 days post op today. The swelling is gone, there are still stiches. Most of the discharge is gone, although I am still sore. I have not been lifting anything, bending or squating or much of anything. Although I did return to work and I sit on a pillow. Unfortunately, I can no longer control my urine stream and it seems I once again have that urgency of hurry and get to the bathroom or else... Although I have not sneezed so I am not sure of those results. My doc says give it time to settle in.... I am concerned it may some how have gotten lose and no longer working as careful as I have been. Has anyone else had this experience?

--
Edited by lynn2010 at May 1, 2012 9:17 AM PDT
Chellebelle
Chellebelle
Mar 23, 2012 08:40 PM
I am new here. I want to thank all the ladies who have shared, it's been great! I had the monarc suburetheral sling procedure yesterday as well as an endometrial ablation. Reading that I am not alone feels great, makes things not so scary. So far so good. Was able to pee on my own very soon after surgery and despite some thigh pain and feeling like I rode a bike for a week I am doing pretty good. I do hope however that this trend continues. The unfortunate luck of some of you breaks my heart and I hope only for the best for you all in the future. I know for me the hardest part is relaxing and taking it easy for so long but after reading all the stories.....the laundry can wait!!!! Thanks again, after having this problem since the birth of my first son at 25, at 38 I figured it was time to start living and hopefully JUMPING!!:) Chellebelle Age 38 2 boys 12&10 and a DH of 15 years Surgery March 22,2012
-- Chellebelle
sally82082
sally82082
Mar 23, 2012 07:50 AM
I had the Monarch sling placed in Dec 2007. We had just moved into a new home and after my 6 weeks of no heavy lifting I dove right in to settling into my new house. I began noticing twinges of intermittent pain in my left hip, low back and groin/leg joint area. I wrote it off as muscular/joint pain from doing so much. The pain never really went totally away. I slipped on my steps and bounced down a few steps and I attributed pain to THAT. I have fallen twice on "sweet gum" balls from our trees and attributed pain to THAT. BTW, I have always been athletic and am not clumsy (LOL). I have been unable to do basic exercise because of this pain and have ballooned to 240 lbs and I have attributed the pain to being overweight. NOW I have found that there may be another explaination. Your description of the radiating back hip and groin pain has made a light bulb go off in my brain. I dug into the specifics of my surgery and found that I have the Monarch subfacial sling. I have also said many times that I wasted my time having the sling because I still have awful urgency and sometimes don't make it to the toilet....EMBARRASSING....AND I noticed almost immediately after surgery that I feel like I have an "air bubble" inside my vagina....I mentioned this to my Dr. and he seriously grinned....almost chuckled. I never went back. I have an appt. with my GYN next week and hopefully I will find out if I, too, am suffering from the side effects of this sling. I feel your pain.
pamdoughty
pamdoughty
Jan 30, 2012 10:12 AM
When did you start having the negative symtoms? I had my monarch sling surgery done a little over a year ago and still doing well....... Most of the time!
MaryinNE
MaryinNE
Jan 12, 2012 07:00 PM
I had the Monarc bladder sling (transvaginal) implanted in 2007. In the past 3 years I have had increasingly worse symptoms of the erosion of the mesh. I have had almost constant urgency, inability to urinate, severe pain in my lower back which radiates to my right hip, pain and inflammation in my vagina, inability to engage in intercourse. Things came to a head when I had my annual Gyn. checkup. My GYN found that the mesh had eroded through my vagina and she could feel it protruding out. Needless to say, I was horrified. I have subsequently done some research and found that the FDA has announced warnings regarding the safety of the mesh implants and the next step is banning them from the market. For anyone contemplating having the surgery, think again! And for those of you singing its praises, I hope and pray that when your mesh begins to erode you too will find a good lawyer. I now face the prospect of multiple surgeries to try and remove the pieces of mesh. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

--
Edited by MaryinNE at Jan 12, 2012 7:01 PM PST
schmidtty
schmidtty
Jan 10, 2012 08:11 AM
I had a monarc put in in 2002 and the trouble started in 2004! I didn't immediately realize it was caused by the monarc so had a colonoscopy, went to my gyno, a urologist 3 times...all to no avail...Now ten years later I think I've pretty much put two and two together, am done with the pain and have made the decision to go to a uro-gyno finally!! When you are busy with raising grandkids, getting chemo, taking care of a husband with cancer too your belly seems like such a small problem. NO LONGER!! It's finally time for me so today is appointment time...wish me luck!
dnailgirl
dnailgirl
Jan 8, 2012 02:11 PM
I had the Monarch sling on Dec. 20, 2011. I stayed in the hospital overnight. When I woke up I had a catheter and pain, but not severe. I expected much worse. I had no vaginal pain, only groin pain. I had a catheter when I woke, but they took it out the next day. I was able to void on my own with no difficulty. I am now almost on week 3 and so far could not be more pleased with my results. Doctor ordered no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks and no sex for 4. Hoping things feel somewhat normal when I am able to be with my husband again. 2 days after surgery I vomitted due to the Vicodin and did so standing up and had not a single drop!!! I have also sneezed multiple times since the surgery and have not had any problems. I have a friend who had this surgery 9 years ago and said she would do it again in a heart beat. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I do want to send my apologies to those of you who have had horrible complications, and hope everything works itself out.
janrobt
janrobt
Jan 8, 2012 09:24 AM
I supposedly had a sling put in on my bladder on 12/16/11. Came out of suregery, No pain, No bleeding and still leaking. I went to a party the next day becasue I had no pain. She said I would have pain and bleeding for 3 weeks..None of this
Margaret123
Margaret123
Jan 2, 2012 06:27 PM
Just had the surgery 12/28. I was surprised to be sent home with a catheter. That was probably the worst part. The groin pain was a close second. Mybpain was getting better and I had actually stopped taking narcotic pain meds until this evening. I can not get any relief. I will say, so far the pain has been worth it. Prior to surgery I could not sneeze with out needing to change my clothes. Iv sneezed three times today and still dry!
jane akre
jane akre
Dec 29, 2011 08:18 AM
Wenchy-

I'm a journalist covering the mesh issue and am wondering how you are doing.

You can find other stories at: http/meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com

The complication rate is something no one has a handle on.... and these things are difficult to remove so I'm wondering how you are faring.. I hope successfully.

Come visit the site and comment if you choose.

Thanks-
Jane Akre
wenchy
wenchy
Oct 18, 2011 11:05 AM
I had the sling installed in November 2008. It was great not to pee and dribble all over myself. My inner thighs were traumatized during the procedure ( Fiance handed me a mirror to hold up to myself to see the damage...it was nasty) As ugly as they looked I only took two days of pain relievers and that's only because he made me. At my checkup everything had healed up well.

Sex. I can feel a hard edge above my pubic bone and he can feel it as well. He said it doesn't bother him.

I was put under general anesthesia during the surgery even though I requested a spinal. The Anesthesiologist was super cute and told me he would take me on a happy ride. I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, I was doped up, and when I came back to reality (kind of) my doctor told my fiance she had to do much more than she thought she would have to do. Fiance said something about my bowels. Today he claims he made no such comment.

I am now suffering from IBS and have a diseased colon. My current doctor is suggesting a resection. The IBS set in almost immediately after the surgery.

Has anyone else experienced this after having the sling installed?

P.S. I am dribbling again and figure it's time for adult diapers. The only thing worse than peeing on yourself is pooping on yourself...in public.
Sydney
Sydney
Oct 18, 2011 01:09 AM
I had the Monarc sling put in April 2008. I was optimistic, having suffered with stress incontinence for close to 20 years. I'd had three vaginal births in 25 months (yes, my babies are 11 months and 14 months apart) and then another a couple of years later. Immediately after the procedure I had a LOT of pain from the catheter. My urine was not draining. Once it was finally removed, I was again optimistic that all was well. Within a day or two, I couldn't help but notice I now had urge incontinence - something I'd never had even once before. When I went for my follow up, I complained about this and was then given a prescription medication for overactive bladder. I explained I didn't have surgery so I could now take medication and was concerned this had caused a new problem I wasn't anticipating. He assured me everything was fine. As the weeks passed, I continued to have urge incontinence regularly. I found myself totally mortified a few weeks after the surgery when I sneezed at work and the entire contents of my bladder came out all over my pants and chair. Sobbing and embarrassed, I walked out of work and called my boss from my car. Following up with my urologist, I was again assured all was fine - to keep taking the medicine.

When I was "medically cleared" to begin having sex, my husband and I were both beyond shocked when sex with me hurt HIM!!!! He said it felt like a brillo pad was inside me and was scratching him. I went the next day to my OB/GYN who said it had eroded through my vagina and it needed to COME OUT!

This started a lengthy process. I was referred to a surgeon in the Houston Med Center. I had numerous exams and tests and had surgery in July 2008 to remove the Monarc sling. An artery was nicked and I was bleeding out in recovery and had to go back into surgery about an hour later to repair this. They were unable to get all of the sling out.

It took months for the vaginal incision to heal. I endured having it cauterized several times - while wide awake. I had to see the MD regularly - like weekly to 2x's a week from July until November - when it was finally healed enough to attempt another bladder suspension surgery.

Not someone typically prone to depression, I became very depressed during this time and had to go on disability from work. I was unable to have sex with my husband for almost a year.

I still wear a pad every single day. While I don't typically have stress incontinence, I continue to have urge incontinence which was caused from the initial Monarc Sling surgery. Urge incontinence is much worse than stress incontinence. At least I knew when I was about to sneeze. With this, there is no warning and is much more leakage then with stress incontinence.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have the surgery. It was a nightmare for me and robbed me of a year of my life, and caused damage in my marriage and in my career.
Jaimie
Jaimie
Oct 4, 2011 09:44 PM
KB-I know that you had your Monarc procedure years ago, but I read your post and I am feeling the exact same way. I am 1.5 weeks post op and feel very uncomfortable, feel pressure and occasional pinching. I'm just wondering if everything worked out for you, or if you had to get it fixed? Thanks.
Pages: 6 - [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Tags:
You must log in to add a tag.